FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH - FUMC "FIRST CHURCH"
The mission of First United Methodist Church is to discover, celebrate and share God's love.
Our core convictions are based in the Christian tradition and, in particular, within the United Methodist heritage.
As such, we believe that all Christians are part and parcel of the present body of Christ and that each member is essential to the other. We are convinced that all are gifted by the Holy Spirit and need to employ those gifts in the ministries of the church.
These ministries occur within this particular body and are offered to the surrounding community and to the world. Because of this conviction, all volunteers will be trained and nurtured in their work and every church member is granted permission to dream, initiate, and organize in programs that lead toward fulfilling our mission statement. We are committed to being open to the movement of the Spirit and trust that God will sustain us for the journey ahead. We also commit to excellence in all we do and will treat one another with respect and love. We seek to offer the grace and peace of Christ in all we say and do that all whom God converts to the Christian faith will grow in their discipleship of Jesus Christ.
History of First United Methodist Church, Isle of Palms
Before 1950, Isle of Palms residents who desired to attend a Methodist worship service had to leave the island to go to church.
Early in 1949, six year old Bob Deans asked Clyde and Betty Dangerfield, who were giving him a ride to Mount Pleasant for a Sunday service, "When are you going to build a church on the Island?" That question was the incentive which prompted a founding group of twenty-five residents to express their faith by making plans to establish a church. Land was donated by J.C. Long and during construction the new congregation met at the original Isle of Palms Exchange Club. The completed church was dedicated to the Lord's work on March 30, 1952. Because the church grew steadily in ministries and membership, an educational wing was built in 1965, and Fellowship Hall was added in 1972 and named for the Charter Member and long-time Church, Treasurer, Luke H. Lupo.
When faced with the devastation of Hurricane Hugo In 1989, the congregation demonstrated faith, courage, and a strong spirit by continuing to function despite hardships and by reaching out to serve the many needs of a distressed community. During the recovery years after Hugo, the construction of the Isle of Palms Connector and Bridge brought significant change. With easy access from the growing Mount Pleasant area, many residents discovered their new church home on the Isle of Palms. Soon, expansion was needed again. With a deep commitment in faith and prayer the "Let Us Be a Beacon" campaign launched the congregation's major construction effort in the spring of 1999. A new Administration and Youth Building was constructed first, followed by the expansion of the Sanctuary and renovation of the Dangerfield Education Wing. These facilities were dedicated in a Service of Consecration, November 4, 2001.
By the spring of 2002 a hard working group of church men had also enlarged, renovated, and equipped the kitchen and new scullery/dish cleaning and storage area.
As the East Cooper Area continued to grow significantly, a new long-range planning and visioning study began in fall 2007, and found additional needs in building space and parking areas. The property at 14 21st Avenue was purchased officially in fall 2010 following a campaign entitled, "Sing a New Song." The purpose of this campaign was to purchase this property and retire the debt from the "Let Us Be a Beacon" program. The new parking area has been completed, provides much needed space for vehicles during worship services and weekday programs of spiritual and physical renewal.
Many dreams have been realized at First United Methodist Church through the hard work of most faithful laity and committed ordained clergy but
especially through the grace of God. All persons are welcomed to come and see, come and taste, and "Come and Sing a New Song" of God's amazing grace at First United Methodist Church at this loving church family!